Wednesday 14 March 2007

'Posh' pubs

After a great afternoon/night out in the Chalk Farm and Primrose Hill areas of London, some mates and I ended up in a particular hostelry where we duly ordered yet another round of beers. Having been on the go for quite some while by then, we were in need of some sustenance and asked the barmaid if they were still doing food:

Me: Are you still doing food?
Barmaid: I'm afraid not sir.
Me: Do you have any crisps?
Barmaid: No, I'm afraid we don't do crisps, we only do nuts.
Me: Ok then, I'll have a couple of packets of peanuts then.
Barmaid: We've only got pistachios.
Me: Fine, I'll have a bag of them
Barmaid: We only do them in half-pint glasses - it's quite a posh pub.

I've seen the class system interwoven with many aspects of life in this country but being made to feel socially inferior for daring to order a packet of ready salted took me by surprise.

After eating the aforementioned half pint of pistachios I developed a bout of uncontrollable shivering and spent the next day in bed with a stomach bug and a temperature of 101...

Good luck to the Spurs for tonight's return leg in the UEFA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny stuff!
Why do people always tell you they're 'afraid' when they're basically telling you to get bent? Like 'I'm afraid not'..what are they afraid of?

Daniel Brewer said...

Indeed, amusing stuff as always. Just found your blog through facebook. Ahhhh the technology.